It is draft day here in Detroit. At the offices of DS360 we are in full on celebration mode. Titus Young day is our favorite holiday. Draft day is probably the best day to be a Detroit Lions fan, that is until the team is on the clock and Roger Goodell walks to that podium to announce the Lions first round selection that is. In that moment we are full of dread and even though Lions General Manger Martin Mayhew has done an OK job in the first round, the rest of his selections really leave us scratching our heads.
So the question of the day is how long will Mayhew be able to control himself before drafting yet another wide receiver?
With all of that being said, here is a little list of why we here at DS360 feel we are better qualified to run the Lions’ war room than the guys who are doing just that today:
- Most of us (maybe not all) finished the second grade
- Non of us ever worked for Matt Millen the most incompetent GM in the history of all sport
- We don’t covet wide receivers
- We actually read the medical reports
- We know that character counts
- Drafting a guy in the fourth round that can take two taser shots before slowing down is impressive, if he actually takes the field
- We know that a Tight End is a luxury pick and on a roster that needs everything, taking a TE top 20 is a big mistake, especially when he drops a lot of passes
- When we meet a player and we discover that he likes to smoke the hippie lettuce more than he likes to play football we pass
- We actually learn from our mistakes, we do not repeat them over and over
- When we take a guy in the first round, we expect the coaching staff to play him, maybe even at the position we drafted him to play
- We never worked for Matt Millen, I know I said that one already but it is worth repeating
It’s draft day Lions fans. Let’s have fun and hope that Brian Xanders has more influence on what this team does today than Mayhew does.