There’s not a whole lot to talk about regarding the NBA right now, given the fact that they are NOT playing. So I’ve compiled a list of weird and fun NBA facts to hold you guys over until they get their…stuff together.
- In 1947, the New York Knicks drafted the NBA’s 1st minority player: American born Japanese Wataru Misaka. Kind of crazy seeing that most American’s had a severe dislike for the Japanese around this time.
Dennis Rodman has appeared in 11 different TV series: The Sober House, Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew, Gumball 3000, The Apprentice, Celebrity Big Brother, The Simpsons, Linc’s, 1999:Soldier Of Fortune, Inc., 3rd Rock From The Sun and Courthouse.
Detroit Piston Charlie Villanueva has 3 older brothers all named Robert
- Tim Duncan has a tattoo of Merlin the Magician on his back
- Jason Williams and Randy Moss played high school basketball and football together. Both retired from their respective sports 15 weeks apart.
Richard Hamilton got the nickname “Rip” from his dad, who always used to rip his diapers.
- Magic Johnson played high school basketball with WWE’s The Undertaker
Chauncey Billups stole video rental coupons from the University of Colorado campus bookstore.
- Charles Barkley was the shortest player in the NBA, 6’6″ on paper, he was an actual 6’2″
Joe Dumars is the only player in Piston’s history to wear the #4. It was retired in 2000.
- Chicago, 1985: Quintin Daily told the ball boy to borrow $5 from a reporter and go get him a slice of pizza during the 2nd half of the game against the Spurs.
- 1983: Wayne Rollins was suspended from the NBA after being the 1st player to bit another player. He bit Danny Ainge on the finger, producing a gash that needed 5 stitches. The NBA suspended him for 5 games, one for each stitch.
- Charles Barkley missed the 1st game of the 1994-95 season due to burned corneas. While at an Eric Clapton concert, the lights hurt his eyes so he started to rub them. The hand lotion he had on at the time, burned his eyes.
- 1996: Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf was suspended without pay for not standing during the nation anthem. He adopted the Islamic faith in 1991, changing his name from Chris Jackson. He said it conflicted with his religious beliefs. After being suspended for 2 days, he changed his mind.
- The Spurs have only missed the playoffs 4 times since joining the NBA in 1976.
And here is my favorite: Sacramento, 1990-91, Lionel Simmons missed 2 games due to tendinitis he got from overplaying his Game-boy.